My mother made shrimp puffs during the holidays. I had to use information from the internet and knowledge of the preferences of my mother to recreate her shrimp puffs. The recipe I was able to create seems to be nearly identical to the recipe of my mother. The filling should be made the night before because the shrimp and green onions (scallions) take several hours to give flavor to the cream cheese and mayonnaise. The trick for making pâte a choux is knowing that when the dough is beaten vigorously, the mixture becomes very smooth and shiny. If you use a hand mixer to beat the eggs into the dough, you can watch the special moment when the dough becomes smooth and shiny. The dough might remain dull and course without beating the dough vigorously. I used a pastry bag, my favorite baking sheet, and parchment paper. The results were perfect! I looked at several books and recipes online. These are cream puffs with a savory filling. Cream puffs are made with puff paste. Puff pastry is something different. Puff paste is made in a pot.
Download The Recipe:
1. Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, Ethan Becker: The Joy of Cooking (New York: Scribner, 2006), 671.
2. A. Escoffier: The Escoffier Cook Book (New York: Crown Publishers, 1941), 727.
3. “Chou au foie gras,” Tastemade (France), accessed December 22, 2016, https://www.tastemade.fr/videos/chou-au-foie-gras.
4. “Thai Tea Cream Puffs,” Tastemade, accessed October 20, 2016, https://www.tastemade.com/videos/thai-tea-cream-puffs.
5. “The Perfect Cream Puff – Kitchen Conundrums with Thomas Joseph.” YouTube video, 5:51. Posted by “Everyday Food,” March 21, 2015. https://youtu.be/Qn1wqaTwpfE.
6. “Shrimp-Filled Cream Puffs,” Snippets ‘N Stuff, accessed July 16, 2016, http://snippetsnstuff.blogspot.com/2014/12/shrimp-filled-cream-puffs.html.
7. Fig. 1. Plato Spelunks, Cabbage. Digital Image. Plato Spelunks. From: Flickr, https://flic.kr/p/49YL9o (accessed December 20, 2016).
8. Fig. 2. Jessica and Lon Binder, pate a choux. Digital Image. Jessica and Lon Binder. From: Flickr, https://flic.kr/p/6HCyCj. (accessed December 20, 2016).