The flesh of eggplants is delicate. I believe that the experience of eating eggplants is greatly determined by the texture of the eggplants. A machine can puree the flesh to be too smooth very quickly. If the eggplants are over pureed, the texture will be similar to water. I was disappointed when I over pureed eggplants. A person can puree eggplants by chopping them with a knife. I put a picture in this blog post of an acceptable texture for making dips and spreads. Since I did not have tahini, I did not make baba ghanoush. I was very pleased with my eggplant spread. I wrote some things on eggplants and aubergines a couple of months ago.
- Roast the eggplants on a grill, in the oven, or in a pan on a burner
- Scoop the flesh of the eggplants into a bowl
- Strain the eggplants
- Barely puree the eggplant flesh
- Add the other ingredients
- Mix the ingredients
1. Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, Ethan Becker: The Joy of Cooking (New York: Scribner, 2006), 74-75.