Note: 1) inexpensive ingredients appear to work well when they are made 24 hours in advance, the Tzatziki Sauce was good after 24 hours, 2) put the condiments and sauce out to be room temperature
This gyro meatloaf was exciting. I put my first attempt at seasoning the meat in my recipe that appears below. I made a great gyro in my blog post Gyros On Freshly Baked Pita And Lemon Rice. The gyro meat in the previous blog post was grilled similarly to a hamburger. I was excited to make the meat loaf because it is similar to the meat for gyros at a restaurant! Seasoning the gyro with only pepper and oregano is sufficient. Since I microwaved a piece of the loaf after adding new spices, I tasted several variations.
||Will it Waffle?
||Mine (First Attempt)
|1 t dried oregano
||1 teaspoon dried oregano
||2 teaspoons oregano
|1 t cumin
||1 teaspoon ground cumin
||1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
||1 teaspoon dried thyme
||1 teaspoon thyme
||1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (sage, savory)
||1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
||1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
||1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
||1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
||1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
||1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
||1 tablespoon dried parsley
||1 teaspoon chili powder
||1/2 teaspoon paprika
||1 teaspoon ground coriander
|1 teaspoon salt
||1/2 teaspoon salt
||3/4 teaspoon salt
|1 teaspoon pepper
||1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground hamburger
- Spices (above)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (panko)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix the bread crumbs and olive oil
- Mix the ingredients using a mixer and the paddle attachment until the mixture is similar to paste
- Put the mixture in a loaf shaped baking pan
- Bake the loaf at 325°F/163°C for 40 min or until the internal temperature is 160°F/71 °C (I had 8 degrees Fahrenheit of carry over cooking)
- Remove the loaf from the pan because there will be fat in the pan
- If the loaf contains nutmeg or cinnamon, the flavor will not be strong after cooling the gyro loaf
Making The Gyro
Download The Recipes:
Gyro (Tzatziki Sauce)
1. “Homemade Gyro,” Tastemade, accessed December 10, 2017, https://www.tastemade.com/shows/just-eat-life/homemade-gyro.
2. “Gyros On Freshly Baked Pita And Lemon Rice,” Snap’s Blog, accessed December 10, 2017, https://timothysnapmassey.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/gyros-on-freshly-baked-pita-and-lemon-rice/.
3. Daniel Shumski: Will it Waffle? (New York: Workman Publishing, 2014), 48.
Note: 1) I used 4 cups of mozzarella cheese
One year ago I wanted to make a deep dish pizza. I had very little cooking experience. After making less than 10 pizzas, while struggling to find the best information, this is my creation. I created the recipe for the deep dish pizza crust several months ago. I like to put melted butter in the dough, but someone can use corn oil. I added a note to my summary on making pizza sauce. The note recommended pureeing diced tomatoes from a can after reducing them in a saucepan. I do not put salt in the tomatoes because the other ingredients contain salt. This pizza is very simple and it was exciting. My recipe from Pizzacraft for making a marinara sauce may be a good guide for making a sauce with more ingredients. I baked the pizza for approximately 18 minutes at 400°F/205°C.
Note: 1) the calzone uses reduced diced tomatoes, this is very rich, consider pureeing reduced tomatoes and using a very thin layer of sauce on a pizza or calzone
To make pizza sauce, reduce a can of domestic tomatoes, strain domestic tomatoes, or puree domestic stewed tomatoes without the juice from the can. Using Italian tomatoes may be different. Do not add salt to the tomatoes because the cheese and dough for the crust usually contain a lot of salt. The calzone in this blog post was made with sourdough. My sourdough recipe makes 3 or 4 crusts. Someone probably must use a rolling pin to make a crust with my sourdough recipe. My pizza dough recipe makes very slack (soft and sticky) dough that must be rolled in flour. This pizza dough recipe is very soft and someone can make a crust by hand very easily.
Slack dough may be similar to dough made with Italian flour. Supposedly the flour that people prefer to use in Italy has less gluten. My pizza dough recipe uses all-purpose flour, but someone could try using pastry flour with a different recipe. A calzone should probably be baked in the middle of the oven for about 20-30 minutes, and a pizza should probably be baked in the bottom of the oven for 15-20 minutes. I use a stone or a piece of steel at the highest temperature of my oven. Pizza or calzones can be put on a stone or steel with parchment paper. European delis or butcher shops may have sausages, meats, or bacon with great flavor.
Note: 1) many people might use salted butter; the anticipated flavor for garlic butter on bread may include salted butter, 2) consider making garlic butter with garlic powder and adding salt
Note: 1) see recipe for garlic butter made with garlic powder
Note: 1) I use the defrosting feature of a microwave to soften refrigerated butter using 10 second intervals, after approximately 10 seconds, I flip the butter stick over
This garlic toast is an exciting snack. Sometimes I serve garlic toast with a meal. Parmesan cheese melted on toasted bread is exciting. Making garlic bread is different. To make garlic bread, a loaf is warmed in the oven or broiled. Garlic toast is browned on each side and toast is firm and crunchy. I make garlic butter by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt (with parsley) with 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. After I put garlic butter on the toast, I put cheese on the toast and I microwave the toast for about 30 seconds. Great cheese fries are made by melting cheese on the fries in the microwave. Using the microwave to melt cheese is an important technique.
Listen To The Music
I make sourdough once a week. This ritual is an aerobic exercise. Making this bread as fast as possible while desiring to be excited revealed some techniques.
- If the dough rises to the top of the pan, the lid of the Pullman pan will not open because the bread expands while it bakes. To avoid this situation, look at the pictures below to observe the proper height for the dough.
- If the dough has risen above the proper height, push air out of the bread with a spatula.
- The pan does not have to be floured or greased. Use a spatula to release the baked bread from the sides of the pan.
- At 450°F/232°C degrees on the middle rack, until the internal temp of the bread is 200°F/°C after about 43 minutes.
- Put the mixing bowl on the scale and add the ingredients: 180 g water, 400 g sourdough starter (levain), 1/8 teaspoon yeast, 400 g flour, 12 g sea salt.
- These proportions should create a slack dough that the machine can knead well.
- Let the dough rise 2 hours in a bowl, let it rise in the pan until the dough is at the proper height (about 2 hours).
- Roll the dough into a cylinder and put it in the Pullman pan.
- Press the dough into the pan with a spatula.
- If something interferes with a timer, use a thermometer to check the bread.
Proper Height For Dough In Pan
Notes: 1) consider putting the stone or steel in the middle of the oven, 2) consider brushing with olive oil, 3) consider baking on parchment paper on a baking sheet in the middle position of the oven
The Pizzacraft recipe book contains very valuable recipes for making Italian food. I am so excited every time I make a recipe from this book. The filling for this calzone was the very best! I used slab bacon. The original recipe uses ham. I discovered a deli where I live that sells the most exciting sausages and bacon. I baked one calzone on steel, and I baked a second calzone on a pizza stone. The trick for making a calzone is probably to know the least amount of time to bake the calzone without making the bottom too crispy. Now that I have found a place to have great sausages, I am very excited to cook this season!
Download The Recipes:
Pizzacraft Thin Crust Pizza Dough
Ricotta and Piperade Calzone